David Adedeji Adeleke is an American-born Nigerian singer-songwriter, recording producer and a superstar, popularly known as Davido, Baddest, and ‘Omo Baba Olowo’ (OBO) after his debut studio album.
Birth Name: David Adedeji Adeleke
Born: 21st November
Early Career Beginnings
He has been performing and making music since the age of 11 and at 18, he has set up a record label called HKN Music. Davido is the youngest of five siblings and his father's second-born son
He began his music career at the Oakwood University and thereafter rose to stardom after releasing his second single ‘Dami duro’. In 2017, Davido received the MOBO Awards as the Best African Acts and became the first African to perform live at the awards. The following year, he became the first African-based artist to receive the BET Awards on its main stage.
The release of 'Dami Duro'
In a short space of time, Davido has developed a huge fan base worldwide and the young fresh talent’s first single “Back When” featuring Naeto C, enjoyed massive media attention and airplay online, on radio and TV. Within no time Davido took us by storm when he released Dami Duro, on Jan. 2012, which has been said to be one of Nigeria's biggest hits ever. Without a doubt, dami duro has become a leading club song as well as one of radio's most played songs.
Omo Baba Olowo (OBO)
He released his debut studio album on July 17, 2012, Omo Baba Olowo (Child of a Wealthy Person) under HKN Music Record Label. Davido was the executive producer of OBO and worked with other producers like Jay Sleek, Spellz, Maleek Berry, and others. It featured popular musicians like Sina Rambo, Ice Price, Kay Switch, B-Red, 2 Face and Naeto C. as guest.
O.B.O has seven singles – Back When (2011), Dami Duro (2011), Ekuro (2012), Overseas (2012), All Of You (2012), Gbon Gbon (2012) and Fell Alright (2012). The first four singles were released prior to the album. Omo Baba Olowo incorporates afro pop and afrobeat sounds with hip hop. It won the Best R&B/Pop Album at the Headies 2013.
Other Songs and Album, and Standalones
In 2013, he released songs like One of a kind, Gobe, and Skelewu.
2014 was the year he released Aye, and Tchlete (Goodlife) featuring Mafikizolo.
In 2015, He made Dodo, The money featuring Olamide, Owonikoko, Fans Mi featuring Meek Mill, and The Sound featuring Uhuru and DJ Buckz.
He released his second album Son of Mercy, EP in Oct. 2016. The album featured Simi, Nasty C, and Tinashe. Its singles are Gbagbe Oshi, Maga 2 Mugu, Coolest Kid in Africa, Return and How Long.
Davido released If, Fall, Pere, Fia, and Like dat in 2017.
In 2018, his songs include Flora my flawa, Assurance, Nwa Baby and Wonder Woman.
As a versatile artiste, Davido adapts to a variety of beats produced by other producers. However, this is a craft he has succeeded in mastering himself and has produced numerous jams for himself and other artists.
Often asked where his inspiration as a producer comes from, David explains
... I like it when people are happy and when they can dance to my music!
In January 2016, Davido announced via Twitter that he signed a record deal with Sony BMG.
Davido is the co-founder of HKN Music. He did this with his elder brother, Adewale Adeleke and behold, the label is home to many artists. He has also produced for numerous artists like Skales, Tiwa Savage, Naeto C and many more.
Davido Music Worldwide DMW
Davido founded his music label DMW, in 2016, shortly after signing up with Sony Music. Several top musicians signed under the label imprint. Some of which include: Teli, Peruzzi, Mayorkun, Dremo and others.
Studio albums and EPs
- Omo Baba Olowo (2012)
- Son of Mercy (2016)
- A Good Time (2019)
Relationship & Personal life
Davido has three children and he's engaged to the mother of his third child, Chioma Avril Rowland. The other daughters names are - Aurora Imade Adeleke and Hailey Veronica Adeleke.
Davido Awards and Recognitions
- Best Newcomer Award, Kora awards, 2012
- Best International Act: Africa, BET Awards, 2014
- Promising Youth Artist, Dynamix All Youth, 2011
- Best Male West African, African Muzik Magazine Awards, 2014
- Artists of the Year, African Muzik Magazine Awards, 2014
- Best Male Artiste of the Year, MTV Africa Music Awards, 2014
- African Artiste of the Year, Ghana Music Awards, 2014
- Musician of the Year (Male), City People Entertainments Awards, 2014
- Artiste of the Year, The Headies, 2018
- Artiste of the Year, The Headies, 2014
- Hip Hop World Revelation, The Headies, 2013
- Next Rated, The Headies, 2012
- Male Artist of the Year, Nigeria Entertainment Awards, 2014
- Best Pop/R&B Artiste of the Year, Nigeria Entertainment Awards, 2013
- Best New Act of the Year, Nigeria Entertainment Awards, 2012
Awards And Recognitions For His Songs
- Music Video of the Year ‘Aye’ Ben TV Awards, 2014
- Song of the Year, ‘Back When’ Dynamix Youth, 2011
- Most Gifted Newcomer Video of the Year, ‘Dami Duro’ Channel O Music Video Awards, 2012
- Best Afro Pop Video ‘Aye’ Nigeria Music Video Awards, 2014
- Song of the Year ‘Aye’ The Headies 2014
- Song of the Year and Best Pop Single, ‘If’ The Headies 2018
- Best R&B/Pop Album ‘Omo Baba Olowo’, The Headies 2013
- Hottest Single of the Year ‘Dami Duro’ Nigeria Entertainments Awards, 2012
- Best Collaboration ‘Gallardo’ Runtown featured Davido, Nigeria Entertainments Awards, 2014
- Hottest Single of the Year, ‘Aye’ Nigeria Entertainments Awards, 2014
- Best Collabo of the Year ‘Carolina’ Saucekid featured Davido, 2012
- Best Video by a New Artist (Live beats Choice) ‘Dami Duro’ Nigeria Entertainments Awards, 2012
Source: Wikipedia and Entrepreneur NG
Follow Davido on Twitter: @davido