"Ikogosi-Ekiti 10km Marathon Race To Hold December 14th, 2019"- Ekiti Sports Commissioner
The Ekiti state government has announced that the first edition of the 10 km Ikogosi-Ekiti marathon will take place on December 14. The state commissioner for youth and sports development, Michael Awopetu, revealed this information on Tuesday to the press in Ado-Ekiti.
Awopetu, who spoke through the permanent secretary of the ministry, Mr. Yemi Owoseni, said that some 2,000 participants will participate in the event. The Commissioner explained that the objective was to ensure youth participation, and added that participation forms would be available in the higher institutions of Nigeria to encourage young people to participate.
He also explained that, in addition to the availability of forms throughout the country, these forms will also be available on the Ikogosi Marathon website, although they have not yet been published. The Commissioner assured that there would be adequate security measures for the participants and spectators during the event.
He added that around 200 technical volunteers formed by NYSC members would also be recruited to help coordinate the event. The commissioner asked the citizens of the state to support the success of the marathon.
He said the program was part of the administration's efforts led by Fayemi to boost youth development and return the state to its place of choice.
2019 Coal-City International Marathon
Also, seven multinational and national companies operating in the state of Enugu have pledged to sponsor the 2019 edition of the Coal City Half City International Marathon, scheduled for November 23 in Enugu. Nzube Ndiokwelu, race director of the event, revealed this information to the Nigeria News Agency (NAN) in Enugu on Saturday as NetBet fans make expectations for the marathon.
Ndiokwelu did not mention the names of the companies but said his activities included aviation, hotels, telecommunications, and education. He revealed that preparations for the international race, with the support of the Nigeria Athletics Federation (AFN), were at the top. "The accreditation begins on November 19 at the secretariat of the race in Enugu.
"Runners or registered participants must also pick up their bibs, jackets and race numbers from November 19 to 22," he said. The NAN recalls that no less than 3,420 athletes in and out of the country had registered online for the race so far.
A total of 37 athletes from African countries participated in the competition through sports associations/federations in their country.
National Speed Marathon 2020 (NSM)
The organizers of the first National Speed Marathon (NSM) 2020 for skaters say there will be more than 11 million N in cash for the event winners, scheduled for January. Event director Adebowale Adetoroye told the Nigerian news agency (NAN) on Thursday that there would be other consolation awards besides money.
- "For the prize money for the men's category, the first prize is £ 3 million, the winner of the second prize will win £ 2 million and the winner of the third prize will go with $ 1 million." In the female category, the winner of the first prize wins 2.5 million nairas; The second prize winner wins 1.5 million nairas, while the third prize winner will receive one million nairas.
- "There will also be consolation awards for the 50 best finalists," he said. Adetoroye said the NSM 2020 would attract skaters from across the country and from Africa in general, adding that the competition was designed according to what could be achieved in Europe and America.
- "The National Speed Marathon is a complete marathon skating course designed to showcase the skills, ornaments, and emotions of this exciting sport." As the first event in Nigeria, it is organized as similar skating marathons organized in other parts of the world, like Europe, the United States, and Africa. "
- "Skating is a new and refreshing sport, designed to promote and take advantage of the interest already generated by the public in promoting the interests of companies and businesses." It was conceived as a national event with plans to be held every year in the 36 states of the federation, including Abuja, "he said.
Adetoroye said the 42.5-kilometer HNS race to be played in Lagos would include male and female categories. "The National Speed Marathon will be held in Lagos on January 18, 2020. It is a 42.5 km speed race that is expected to bring together 5,000 athletes in Nigeria, which will include male and female participants.
- "This event will feature participants from African countries and invited athletes from Europe.
- "The idea of celebrating the first edition of NSM in Lagos as a city of choice is based on our firm belief that the competition offers enormous social, sports, tourism and economic potential for the state," he said.
Adetoroye said the course of this important event would be announced in November, adding that it would be an interesting race for skaters. "The NSM route will be announced on November 4. It covers a distance of 42.5 km and is carefully planned to cover some of the city's interesting sites.
- "The road has been deliberately chosen to present some of the most beautiful sites in Lagos, a city considered to be the fifth-largest economy in Africa."
- "We partner with Rotary International to raise public awareness about prostate cancer through Rotary RAG (Rotary Action Group for Prostate Cancer), and our theme is" Patina against cancer, "he said.
On the impact of the race on the development of sport in the country, Adetoroye said it would provide a great opportunity for skaters to release their talents.
- "We have to organize this tournament to show the fun and excitement of this sport; Discover the talent, speed, and agility of Nigerian skaters and promote the sport to exploit its social and economic benefits.
- "We also aim to promote the sport. We turn our local skaters into professional skaters and make them contribute to our society and economic development.
- "This tournament will provide a platform for a credible and sustainable partnership between sports and brands.
- "NSM is also seen as an event that will serve as a platform to train and expose talented skaters who could represent Nigeria in similar competitions around the world, including the Olympic Games," he said.
Adetoroye added that organizing the MNS would reinforce the growing interest in speed sports and exploit the enormous social and economic benefits of sport.
- "The event provides a platform to combine sport and play as an essential learning and development tool for youth participation. It is an ideal event to mark Lagos and several cities in Nigeria on the world map of skating.
- "We also want to offer an alternative platform for sports and tourism in the state. NSM will give our youth a unique opportunity to realize their dream of skating.
- "It is said that the time our young people devote to sports is less than the time they spend on crime."
- "If young people are constructively engaged, the crime rates in our society will be kept to a minimum. The registration fees per skater are 3000 nairas," he said.