5 Nigerian Afrobeats Artists With The Highest Spotify Listeners
Some days back, popular A&R Bizzle Osikoya tweeted a picture of top 100 Afrobeats artists with the highest monthly Spotify listeners. The picture immediately caught my attention. As at the time of the picture, Wizkid had nearly 7 million (6.9), unique monthly listeners, Burna Boy had about 5 million (4.7) listeners while Davido had almost 3 million (2.6) listeners.
It is important to note that the artists such as Wizkid, Mr. Eazi, Burna Boy, Yemi Alade, who were on Beyonce's The Lion King album had an increase in the number of monthly listeners.
Afrobeats is earning itself a reputable spot in the global music industry and the numbers are beginning to prove it. Nigerian artists play a huge role in the success of the sound.
Notjustok has decided to compile a list of the top Nigerian artists with the highest Spotify listeners.
Wizkid - 7.7 million
It is quite surprising how many listeners Wizkid has accrued on Spotify between February and August. Even though many of the listeners might have come from his feature with Beyonce (Brown Skin Girl), it doesn't take away from the fact that Wizkid is the toast of Afrobeats and it's translating to more numbers for the superstar.
Mr. Eazi - 5.4 million
Mr. Eazi is one of the prominent names when it comes to Afrobeats. He's contributing immensely to the culture and his platform Empawa is helping to discover artists and push them to a large audience. He's one of the most resourceful artists when it comes to the use of digital platforms.
Burna Boy - 5.1 million
Since Burna Boy gained an international reputation in 2018 after releasing Ye, he has yet to back down. His recent studio album African Giant is enjoying maximum airplay and the Devil In California crooner is on a US press run. Alongside Mr. Eazi, he performed at Coachella earlier this year. He's one of the exceptional acts setting the pace for the Nigerian sound.
Davido - 2.8 million
To my surprise, Davido's numbers aren't as high as Wizkid or Mr. Eazi. But that is not to say that the numbers of monthly listeners he has on Spotify are not impressive. The Fall crooner recently put out a song Blow My Mind (featuring Chris Brown). He's at the forefront of artists pushing Afrobeats to the international mainstream.
Yemi Alade - 1.8 million listeners
Yemi Alade is widely known as the queen of Africa. She has been one of the African women making a difference in the Nigerian music industry and she has toured extensively all around the world. She was one of the few names featured on Beyonce's The Lion King album.
- Bella Alubo – Necessary (Prod. TUC)
- Broda Shaggi – Wake Up (Audio & Video)
- TMPL Music Presents: Chris A – Olowo (Prod. Mr Labs)
- Victor AD – Kowo Wole (Prod. KulBoy Beat)
- Terry Tha Rapman – Ejeagbo (Prod. 2JO)
- Fireboy DML – Askamaya (Cover)
- Destiny Boy – Time Is Money
- Emex – Follow (Prod. Dtac)
- BILS – Mans On The Move (The EP) + Bad Boy
- ClassiQ – Gargajiya (Official Video)
- Spider Rider ft. Zlatan – Alert (Prod. BeatBoyFX)
- Naira Marley – Soapy (Official Video)
- 1da ft. Kranium – Whine Fi Me
- Picazo – Pray For Me (Official Video)
- Limerick – Worwor For Nothing
- Buju ft. Zlatan – Spiritual
- Imrana ft. Samini – Imagine Say (Remix)
- Victor AD – Fact (Prod. IamBeat)
- Dremo – Sigh (Prod. Dremo)
- Picazo – Pray For Me (Prod. Stubborn)
- Soundcity Live Sessions With Rema, Fireboy DML, Ycee, and Seyi Shay
- Burna Boy – Omo (Prod. Mr. Kleb Beatz)
- Tekno ft. Zlatan – Agege (Official Video)
- Cassyice – Connect (Prod. Del B & Twins Beat)
- Fireboy DML – Girlfriend
- Davido ft. Chris Brown – Blow My Mind