Jesse Jagz (Jesse Abaga) has been described as Nigeria’s Kanye West because of his flirtatious experimentation with different genres of music from R&B to roots reggae to Pop all built on a predominantly Hip Hop foundation. Though a native of Pyeri in Taraba State, Jesse grew up in Jos, Plateau state in a music-filled environment with both parents (clergy) gave him access to the church choir and drums set by age 7.
He recorded his first album with a group named Gospel Insanity unfortunately; the album never got released due to fallout of some of the members. Jesse thereafter started producing beats professionally and thereafter formed another group ‘Eleven Thirty’ which quickly became a huge success in Jos.
In 2004, he hooked up with Jude Abaga a.k.a MI together they started Inner Hub Studios. By 2006, Jesse started a solo career with a debut-hit “Africa” that remained at #1 on the cool fm chart for months.
Between 2006 and 2007 Jesse Jagz had 3 songs simultaneously dominating the top ten charts on Cool FM, RayPower FM as well as Rhythm FM! becoming street anthems in and around the north of Nigeria.
Jesse Jagz hit songs include Bend down low, Sugar Cane Baby, The Greatest while his hit song My Brother was selected as part of the International Music Entrepreneur of the Year (IYMEY) 2008 compilation.
In February 2009, the Award nominated producer and hip hop artist was selected to represent Nigeria at the 2009 edition of Sauti Za Busara Music Festival- a yearly international festival celebrating East African music and features top-quality musical performances by more than 400 established and upcoming artists (40 groups in total) and over the years has established itself as one of Africa’s leading music festivals which held in Zanzibar, Tanzania.
His newest singles Wetin Dey and Pump it up are currently topping charts across the country.
His production credits include M.I, Modenine, Silver Saddih, Banky W, Majek Fashek, Ruby, Ice Prince, Faze, Djinee, Kel, Shank, Tosin Martins, Sasha, Djah Djah (def jam poetry), Kahli, Pherowshuz among a host of others.
His video Pump It Up was released in November 2009 and has been getting rave reviews.
He released his debut album, “Jag of all Tradez ” in 2010 to critical acclaim. He was notably absent from the music scene in 2011 and 2012,returning in 2013 with a ragga/Patois infused style of rap . He released the singles “Murder Dem” and “Redemption” in the 1st half of 2013 after parting ways with Chocolate City Music. The singles were released under his new imprint, Jagz Nation. In June 2013, Jesse Jagz left Chocolate City and released his second album (his first as an Independent artist) “Jagz Nation Vol 1; Thy Nation Come “. With him rapping, Singing and handling most of the production on his first album, Jesse Jagz chose to seek the help of other producers such as Samklef, Shady and Kid Konnect on his second album instead. The album features the likes of Brymo and Wizkid on it with the latter helpoing to creating one of the best hits of 2013/2014.
On the 8th of April 2015, Jesse Jagz returned to Chocolate City and renewed his contract.
His Production Credits include:
- I(Short Black Boy, Illegal Music)
- Mode 9(Nine)
- Silver Saddih(Konko Jabele)
- Banky W
- Majek Fashek
- Iceprince(Rewind, Extraordinary)
- Lindsey(Drift Away, Pictures)
- Kel(Sittin On Top,Jeun Soke,Untouchable)
- Tosin Martins
- Ajuju(Testing the Microphone)
- Dekunle Fuji(Jesu Funmi)
- Sammy Sage
- 2 Shotz(Money In My Pocket)
- Djah Djah (Def Jam Poetry)
- Pherowshuz among a host of others
Best Producer of the Year-Splurge Magazine Best Rap Single 2008
Producer of the Year-The Future Awards 2010.
Best New Act – Nigerian Entertainment Awards 2010
Lyricist on The Roll – The Headies 2014 Awards
- Most Top Ten Hits on Cool Fm 2007.
- Best Dance Single-Bend Down Low 2008
- Producer of the Year (Hip Hop World Awards 2009)
- Producer of the Year(The Future Awards 2009 and 2010)
- Best New Act – Nigerian Entertainment Awards, NY 2010
- Best Rap Act – Nigerian Entertainment Awards, NY 2010
- Hip Hop Revolution – Hip Hop World Awards 2010
PERFORMANCES AND APPEARANCES
- Names on Platinum(Independence show)- October 1st 2008
- This Day international Music and Fashion Festival June, 2009 Abuja
- This Day international Music and Fashion Festival ,Abuja –August 2008 Opened for Jay Z, Rihanna, Usher ,Beenie Siegal e.t.c
- London Calling 2008– Headliner of 4 Nigerian acts , London UK
- Sauti Za Busara Music Festival, 12th – 17th of February 2009.
- Crack Your Ribs( Abuja) –August 2008
- Crack Your Ribs( Abuja) – July 2009
- Rhythm Unplugged 2008 &Rhythm Unplugged Abuja 2009
- Big Brother Eviction Party Abuja (the Dome)2006
- Host WAPI (words and pictures)- British Council Abuja (2008)
- MTV Base Advance Warning party- July 2008
- Nokia Xpress Music Rave
- Host Chocolate City “The Jam Sessions ” 2007 & 2008
- Face of Selara 2009
- 0808,Abuja- Headline Act-August 2009
- Gordons Show- Abuja 2009 Names on Platinum (Independence Show)-October 1st 2008
- Co Host-Club MTV Base Party -2008,Jos
- Port Harcourt Stand Up-July 2009.
- Visafone Promo Tours-Abuja
- 0808-Fashion, Poetry and Song-August 2009.
- Hennessy Artistry, Lagos–September 2009.
- Star Mega Jam with Busta Rhymes and Ludacris-December 2009.
- Professionals Rock, Abuja-February 2010.
- 100% Basketmouth in Concert, Indig02: Lord of the Ribs, London-February 2010.
- Rebirth Reading, UK – April 2010
- Crack Ya Ribs Abuja (Julius Agwu) – August 2010
- AY LIVE Abuja – August 2010
- Charlie Boy Album Release – August 2010
- Nigerian Entertainment Awards New York – September 2010
He is signed to the Chocolate City Music Label and management.